Dear Reflection Poem





[I did a sweet photo shoot with one of my bestest friends and they turned out SO GOOD (EEK!) @simplesparrowphotography to peep the rest.] 

As I have become more immersed into the student body of my school I began to see cracks. They may be obvious to anyone but for a newly schooled introvert naïve to any high-school, it took me a little more time. I can't speak for the boys in my class but I can speak as me. A girl. The cracks centralized around pressure, little favors, and snide comments. Making fun of laughs, interests, and friends is constant, and it makes me wonder what the world has come to for sure. But the lack of respect from one teenager to another is heartbreaking. 

Being kind is flirting. Being good at something is ''try hard'', and being me is unacceptable. 

I must admit before going to a school I was spoiled by boys. They were my friends, my fellow students, and my friendly competition. Now they are my fear, maybe that is a little dramatic.....

BUT nonetheless I see my dear beautiful friends second guess themselves and it makes my heart sad. So while I was in Washington D.C for a school trip and observed all the stages of confidence I wrote a little poem, and may not resonate with you as much as it does to me but that is okay :) 

Dear Reflection 

I glance in the mirror 

My reflection stares back disappointment in her eyes

Horribly imperfect but trying to prove otherwise 

A little shard of glass defining her worth 

Listening to every opinion on the whole earth


Dear reflection there is more to you then this

Only pulling yourself into a self consumed abyss 

Knowing your worth is crucial in times like these

When the weight of the world pulls you to your knees


Dear reflection you are mine forever

Your face the battle map

And no matter what we are in this together

Looking in judgment with every new app


I pay pointless attention to comments 

Crude teens making it their moment 

I pay attention to you for hours 

But never seem to receive the right flowers


I think I'll always be alone 

When my personality shines through

Is being all of me really too much for you?


I die a little daily 

Enslaved to this reality


Dear little reflection you feel small 

How can anyone overcome it all? 


Dear reflection I see your face in the mirror of the sky

Maybe clouds 

Maybe sunshine 

But there are always rainbows behind your eyes 


There is power in your thunder 

Brilliance in your lightning

Beauty in your hunger

Joy in your suffering 











 

Comments

  1. Good thoughts here, I like the reflective nature of the poem and how that plays into the topic of "reflection" :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts