Fourth of July (Summer Part Two)


 


If anyone were to ask me about my least favorite part of the summer I would say the heat. Beaufort heat is infamous during the summer for a reason. And by July Fourth it's a "lovely" 100% humidity and ninety five degree temperature that actually feels like one hundred+. So! My summer normally consists of hot picnics, lot's of watermelon, and on a particularly idyllic day drippy popsicles with the daily intake of all the AC I can get. (But I can't also forget about all the Library visits to encourage myself to stay inside) And fourth of July is usually a family dinner on the screened in porch with the fans on, but this year was a little different.....Our church had a outdoor service and picnic since the 4th was on a Sunday. And I must admit that I was more focused on the heat then the message that our pastor was sharing from Psalm 100. We had chairs set up in a field under the direct sun....enough said. But halfway through his 15 minute sermon I caught the words (through my self consumed thoughts) and I quote 

"Celebration of dependence." 

I was semi listening and taking notes, but that really stuck out to me. On a day that people flared fireworks in the sky and bought certain kinds of food just for this day all across the nation, celebrating their independence, how many of us forgot that we can't be free without full dependency on God? Freedom is defined as "the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint." And I (after a LOOOOONG train of thought) began thinking about how beautiful as a Christian my freedom is. My freedom isn't a independent country it's a abounding love that calls me to be free of sins. So after our pastor finished the sermon we had a picnic as a church, and my day went about as normal. But I know I take advantage of my religious freedom, while others struggle to stay from persecution while they worship I can tell whoever I want that Jesus is my Lord Savior and Christ. I can raise my hands in worship if I want to without judgement. I can pray out loud without fear. And I can drive to church every Sunday to a secure building where I will hear the word.  So I will celebrate the fourth of July and complete dependency on God, while praising Him for freeing me of sin, and giving the Church the independence of public worship in America. One day maybe I will have persecution but like every Christian I will still have liberty in Jesus. 

So! On a less serious note my fourth of July evening was a considerably less contemplating and more fun....Since it was my Grammie's last night in Beaufort with us we went to the dock near our house and watched the sunset, there were dolphins, and free fireworks! We sat on and near our car till around ten having fun together...and naturally the sky at all stages of the evening was irresistible, so enjoy these pictures :)

 








Also not to totally brag but gorg sister alert 😍


 

Blurry on purpose don't worry ;)

Stay tuned for part three coming later this summer! 
-Emily
 

Comments

  1. Love this Emily - yes, that phrase about dependence stood out to me as well. I loved reading your thoughts about that! The sunset and fireworks were great and what a charming photo of Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts